Liam has a hard time falling asleep at night, an equally hard time waking up in the morning, and as a result of this... on top of just being 3... he can be rather, well, emotional.
For bedtime, we have tried every routine in the book. We even turn off every light in the house and all go to bed together to help him unwind. But in the end, you can't make a kid actually fall asleep-- that part is on them. All we can do is keep trying to help!
Stepping out of these frustrations, though, I must say that we have gotten to witness some pretty amusing outbursts. Some examples:
Last week, we were talking about dinosaurs after dinner. Liam bursts into tears, sobbing "I just want dinosaurs to be REAL! But they're all DEAD! Waaaaaaa!" I told him we could ride pretend dinosaur rides, see real dinosaur bones in a museum, watch dinosaurs on TV... but there was just no comforting poor Liam.
He has also been very, very concerned about heaven. What is heaven? Where is heaven? And especially, What does heaven look like? Can I see pictures? I want to see the real heaven! This is not easy to try to explain (suggestions welcome. I think I need a book about how to explain God to kids...). One particular day, I was trying to explain heaven to Liam, and he just started to cry. "I don't want to go to heaven! I just want to stay here with you guys!" Many reassurances followed...
This morning as the boys were getting into the car with Dad to head off to Aunt Doreen's, I excitedly told Liam that we would be going to his buddies' Brigid and Kara's house tomorrow morning because it's the first day of ND football, and we are going to all watch the game together.
Me: "Yay! Right? Liam? What's wrong?"
Again, he bursts into tears.
Liam: "But I just want to play football!"
Me: "Ok! We can play football and watch football at Brigid and Kara's house! No problem!"
Liam: (sobbing) "No! I want to play football in the football GAME!"
I got this text from Dad later:
"Liam as we left and still crying says But Dad, all I want to do is play football at Notre Dame."
*sigh*
It is definitely a parenting challenge to try to address these "serious" concerns while keeping a straight face!
Two of my other favorite interactions with Liam that make me laugh every time I think of them (those of you who are my facebook friends have probably already read these...):
Liam and I were looking at a family photo from not quite 3 years ago that was taken at Grandma and Papa's house.
Liam: "Where's Joergen in this picture?"
Me: "He wasn't born yet."
Liam: "Oh... did we leave him at home?"
Me: "No-- he wasn't alive yet!"
Liam gasps: "You mean he was DEAD?!?!"
I was reading a magazine and saw an article about yoga for kids with some poses to try at home.
Me: "Hey Liam, wanna learn yoga with me?"
Liam: "Yeah!! We'll be like Shrek!"
Me, puzzled: "Huh?"
Liam: "Yeah! Shrek is a yoga!"
Me: "No honey. Shrek is an ogre."
Liam, crestfallen: "Oh. Then no thank you."
He is a special, special kid.
| Breaking in my shoes for Jen and Pete's wedding |
| ROOOAAAR! I'm a lion! |
| Look, Dad-- I made an airplane! |
No comments:
Post a Comment