All right, East Coast friends-- you know I'm not lying when I say this summer was a hot one, with a capital H.O.T. Hot as in the kind of summer that could make even the most skeptical believe in global warming. Yet not too hot... never too hot... to keep our boys indoors. I would have been quite content hanging by the AC with a cold drink, but we somehow just couldn't sell our kids on it. So outdoors we went!
After our little lion pool sprung a leak last summer, we decided to upgrade to something a bit larger-- and we were glad we did! Not only did Liam and Joergen do some serious slippin' and slidin' in that pool, but it also allowed for one of us to get in with them. And with this heat, it was awesome.
First time out o' the box-- thank goodness for an electric pump this time around!
Liam getting ready to fill 'er up... but that devilish look let me know I better take cover first :)
My water babies:
Joergen spent an unbelievable amount of time just scooping and pouring... scooping and pouring. I love to watch him deep in concentration!
Dad cleverly found other ways to give the boys something to do outside... chores! They are still at the age where they think chores are fun, so we are going to milk this phase for all it's worth. Swab the deck, matey!
On one particularly sweaty, steamy day, I stripped them of their sticky clothes and stuck them on the deck to play with the water table in their birthday suits... because hey, it was just that hot. And what could be funnier than this?!
In the evenings after dinner were our prime time for bike rides around the neighborhood. After our Vermilion vacation when Liam got to try out his first bike with training wheels, Dad came home one day with a new "big boy" bike. He was so excited! He really had outgrown his trike, so the timing was just right. He is pretty scared of going "too fast"-- hills are his nemesis-- but he's getting more and more confident every day.
While we did our best this summer to beat the heat, though, there were unfortunately times when the heat beat us. At the end of June, Joergen picked up a little respiratory infection and could not stop wheezing-- that stuffy heat certainly wasn't helping his breathing! So his pediatrician hooked us up with an at-home nebulizer and many, many packets of albuterol, and instructed us to give him breathing treatments for the next few days. He was so good about it... in the beginning, anyway.
Poor little guy!! Given Liam's food allergies and eczema, and the breathing issues that have come up for both of them, I think I'm glad we now have a nebulizer at the house. Just praying it doesn't get much use!
No comments:
Post a Comment