In honor of Uncle David's 75th birthday, the entire Rasmussen clan invaded Wisconsin Dells, WI, to celebrate over the Thanksgiving holiday. For Liam, Joergen, and I, it was our first experience with the Dells-- but I can pretty confidently say I don't think it will be our last. It was one of the best trips we've taken as a family, and we can't wait to go back!
We flew from Philadelphia to Chicago on the day before Thanksgiving, and then rented a car to drive up to Wisconsin. Our trip got off to a fun start when Liam won some Eagles swag from
94 WIP's live broadcast in the airport that morning!
Despite traveling the day before Thanksgiving, we got there without a hitch. Everything in the Dells was covered in a blanket of snow, and it looked more like January than November! We were so excited to have finally arrived, though, and no sooner did we get out of the car at our resort when we heard the Peoria Derrys calling for us from an outdoor hot tub! Liam pretty much jumped out of his clothes and into a bathing suit, and ran off to go join the fun.
So for those who may be unfamiliar,
Wisconsin Dells is the waterpark capital of the world-- and this title is very well deserved. I have never seen so many waterparks in my life! We stayed at the
Wilderness Resort, and with its 3 indoor waterparks, massive arcade, go-kart track and laser tag arena, let's just say we were certainly never bored!
We spent most of our time in the waterparks (admission was included in our overnight stay... best idea ever!). Joergen was in heaven at the WaterDome, which was a little quieter than the other parks and had the best area for younger kids, hands down. It's hard to believe it was 27 degrees outside!
Liam, on the other hand, wanted to be wherever the "big kids" were going to be, and braved all kinds of water slides with his cousins. They had a blast!
 |
| I spy... 8 Derrys/Rasmussens in the wave pool! |
 |
| Abby, Toni, Joer, Aidan, Grace, Liam, and Kate in Klondike Kavern |
On Thanksgiving Day, we hit the buffet at Wild Canyon Cafe and let someone else do the cooking... and clean-up! It was the most relaxing, easy-going Thanksgiving, which I think was quite a feat given that there were 27 of us in our party!
 |
| Toni, Aidan, Grandma, Liam, and Gracie |
 |
| (Some of) The girls- Jacie, me, Surabhi, and Beth |
 |
| (Some of) The guys- Jake, Anthony, Uncle David, and Andrew |
After dinner, the kids found their way to a giant indoor fun zone and got serious about gaming. I laughed when I saw how many kids they crammed into this one!
 |
| Liam, Kate, Joergen, Toni, Joseph, and Grace |
Once we pried them away from the video games, they discovered the go-kart track, and hey- why not?
 |
| Liam and Uncle Andrew, with Grace and Jud in the car behind them |
 |
| Grace and Jud weren't behind them for long, though! |
On Thanksgiving night, we all gathered in one of the condos to celebrate Uncle David's milestone birthday.
 |
| Best buddies Liam and Gracie. They are two peas in a pod! |
In honor of Uncle David, Grandma helped all of his great nieces and nephews put together an acrostic about their favorite uncle, and each kid was responsible for reading a line. They did
awesome!
After a special evening of gift-giving and story-sharing, we took some family photos with the man of the hour.
 |
| David with all of his Rasmussen great nieces and nephews |
 |
| This one cracks me up-- Joergen, what ARE you doing?! |
 |
| David with all of his Rasmussen nieces and nephews, their spouses and children |
 |
| Papa, Aunt Lyn, David, Aunt Jan, and Grandma |
And while on this theme of family photos, I love this one of the Peoria Derrys from the weekend too!
The Derry grandchildren:
Even with so many fabulous amenities at the resort, I think my favorite moments that weekend were those from right in the condo, which offered the perfect space for our large group to gather, play games, share stories and lots of laughs!
 |
| An unforgettable evening playing Cards Against Humanity... lol! |
 |
| Watching football and playing games with Uncle Andy |
 |
| Cousin time! Liam and Kate |
 |
| Joergen and Toni (twinsies!) |
And don't forget about the random fun that just happens when you are vacationing with this many people.
 |
| No officer, I swear we did not operate this vehicle with 5 kids and an adult crammed in the trunk! Really! I mean, at least it's a hatchback, right?! |
For our last night all together, Uncle David and Aunt Lyn treated the family to the
Rick Wilcox Magic and Comedy Show, which was just a few miles from our resort in the Dells. The show was fantastic, and certainly one that we will never (ever) forget! Guess who was picked from the audience to go up on stage...
I laughed so hard I cried at Liam and his antics. He was terrific- and had some pretty awesome comedic timing, too. Between putting on the magician's coat (when he was simply asked to hold it for him) and then actually trying to climb into the box himself for the disappearing act, I could have died! It was the perfect end to a fantastic trip.
Happy Birthday, Uncle David, and cheers to many, many more!
No comments:
Post a Comment