Saturday, April 26, 2014

Holy Thursday

In the days leading up to Easter, Liam and Joergen became very interested in the story of Jesus and wanted to know all they could about his life, death, and resurrection (and asked many questions that were tough to answer for little kids!  Not to mention adults!).  On Palm Sunday, the Knights hosted their annual Pancake Breakfast, which Liam and Joergen proudly worked along side their dad while I sang at the 11:30 mass.

Ok, Liam worked...

... Joergen ate :)
For a while, Liam was working at the front door, greeting guests and informing them of the menu (he was so proud to have such an important job!).  When Fr. Cioppi, our pastor, walked in, Liam (having just heard the story of the washing of the feet during our story time the night before) started asking him questions about Jesus washing his disciples' feet and what Father does on Holy Thursday.  Fr. Cioppi stopped Liam and said, "Liam, would you like to have your feet washed on Holy Thursday?"  Liam's eyes got big, and he nodded yes.  A few days later, a letter from Fr. Cioppi arrived, thanking Liam for accepting the invitation to be part of this special tradition and giving him instructions on what to do.  

On Holy Thursday, Liam was all dressed up in his jacket and tie, sitting in the front of the church, patiently waiting for the washing of the feet to begin.  From up in the choir loft, I watched him stand up as the alter servers moved the benches to the front, then confidently leave his pew and take his spot on the bench.  He was by far the youngest "disciple" that day (if not ever!), and after Fr. Cioppi had washed Liam's little foot and Liam was trying to put his shoe back on, I had to chuckle realizing that he could not yet tie his own shoes.  It was so sweet seeing the man next to him swing Liam's foot up onto the man's lap and tie his shoes for him.

After mass, I could not wait to see Liam and hear about his experience.

Me: "Liam, tell me all about having your feet washed!"

Liam: "Mom, the water was freezing.  And my foot is soaked, but that's ok.  It was awesome. I thought my heart was just going to burst right out of the church!" 

(I could relate.)

Later, Liam said to me, "You know what, Mom?  I want to be a priest when I grow up.  Then I can wash people's feet whenever I want."

No comments:

Post a Comment