Saturday, February 20, 2016

Mother-Son Date Night

On Friday night, Candlebrook Elementary hosted its first "Mother and Son Night of Fun" in the gym. When the flyer came home a couple of weeks ago, Liam very seriously asked me if I would go on a date with him to this very special event. Be still my heart!  When I got home from work that evening, he urged me to go put on something "fancy" while he himself got ready. He came out of his room a few minutes later wearing a button-down, a tie, and a fedora. Was not expecting that! It was so sweet!

A big group of us moms of first grade boys had all decided to meet up beforehand for dinner at Little Sicily in Bridgeport, which was a total blast and perhaps the craziest dining experience I've ever had! There were 15 moms all sitting at one long table, while 15+ first-grader boys "sat" at another one. They were quite literally bouncing off the walls and having the time of their lives. And every one of those boys was in a dress shirt, tie, and a hat! It was so cute to see how they'd clearly cooked up these plans.

By the time we got to the school, I am pretty sure Liam had expected the evening to be an elegant prom-esque evening of dancing with his momma, so imagine his surprise when he walked into a gym lined with moms talking to each other, with 75 little boys aged 5 - 9, yelling, laughing, running, and knocking each other down, with pop music blaring through giant speakers.  Liam turned to me and said, "Why are people acting crazy?! This is supposed to be a special date night with our moms!" He then asked me if I would please dance with him (melt!) and led me onto the dance floor. We didn't care that we were the only mother-son duo actually dancing-- we were having the time of our lives.

We later hit up the photo booth :)



Before the evening ended, the principal, Mr. Sparano, called all the little boys to come out in the hallway with him for a little surprise. Much to our surprise, each of those little boys came proudly walking back into the gym with a beautiful rose to give to their moms. Liam was so sweet and sincere in presenting me with his rose, and I knew this was an evening I would never forgot!




No comments:

Post a Comment